SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING & VISUALIZATION (Fall 2015)
Course Number: CSCI 596
Class Number: 30280D (lecture); 30146R (discussion)
office: VHE 610; phone: (213) 821-2657; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TA: John Tran; email: email@example.com; homework submission: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lecture: 3:30-4:50pm M W, SGM 601
Discussion: 4:30-5:30pm F, KAP 156
Office Hour: 2:00-3:00pm M, VHE 611
HPC Office Hour: 2:30-5:00 pm, T, LVL 3M by Avalon Johnson
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of programming, data structures,
linear algebra, and calculus; a nice introduction for a non-computer science student to fill the gap:
Y. Patt and S. Patel,
Introduction to Computing Systems: From Bits and Gates to C and beyond;
T. Hey and G. Papay,
The Computing Universe.
W. D. Gropp, E. Lusk, and A. Skjellum, "Using MPI, 3rd Ed."
(MIT Press, 2014)--recommended
M. Woo, et al., "OpenGL Programming Guide, Version 4.3, 8th Ed."
A. Grama, A. Gupta, G. Karypis, and V. Kumar, "Introduction to Parallel Computing, 2nd Ed."
Particle and continuum simulations are used as a vehicle to learn basic elements of high
performance scientific computing and visualization. Students will obtain
hands-on experience in: 1) formulating a mathematical model to describe a physical
phenomenon; 2) discretizing the model, which often consists of continuous differential
or integral equations, into algebraic forms in order to allow numerical solution on
computers; 3) designing/analyzing numerical algorithms to solve the algebraic equations
efficiently on parallel computers; 4) translating the algorithms into a program;
5) performing a computer experiment by executing the program;
6) visualizing simulation data in an immersive and interactive virtual environment;
and 7) managing/mining large datasets. For details, please see
course information sheet.
Visualization of a billion-atom reactive molecular dynamics simulation of
cavitation bubble collapse in water on 163,840 IBM Blue Gene/P cores.
- 8/24/15 (M): The class begins.
- 8/27/15 (Th): Seminar on
Strongly correlated plasmas since Bohm and Pines by
Prof. Setsuo Ichimaru from University of Tokyo
at 2:00 pm in EEB 248 (refreshments will be served).
- 8/28/15 (F): On Andre Geim's
Friday night experiments.
- 9/1/15 (T): HPC office hours will be 2:30-5:00 pm every Tuesday in LVL 3M
(basement of Leavey library).
- 9/2/15 (W): Special lecture on
Introduction to HPC cluster computing by
Avalon Johnson at USC Center for High Performance Computing (HPC).
- 9/3/15 (Th): Your HPC account is ready; please find your directory
- 9/4/15 (F): Webinar on
Parallel programming and optimization for Intel architecture.
- 9/16/15 (W): Assignment 0 results
are now available.
- 9/18/14 (F): Special office hour for assignment 1 at 5:30pm in VHE 610.
- 9/25/14 (F): Special office hour for assignment 2 at 5:30pm in VHE 610.
- 9/28/15 (M): Please see the Data Incubator fellowship opportunity.
- 10/2/15 (F): Special lecture/demo on "Virtual reality as a research tool"
by Erick Moen (USC);
- 10/2/15 (F): Special office hour for assignment 3 - Part I at 5:30pm in VHE 610.
- 10/7/15 (W): HPC tour, please sign in at the reception of the 3434 Grand building at 3:50 pm sharp;
see access to 3434 Grand.
Also, do not forget to bring your student photo ID;
- 10/9/15 (F): Special lecture on "Accelerating reactive molecular dynamics on GPU"
by Dr. Ken-ichi Nomura (Quantlab).
- 10/9/15 (F): Special office hour for assignment 3 - Part II at 5:30pm in VHE 610.
- 10/19/15 (M): Discussion on D-Wave quantum-computer projects with John Tran
at 2:00 pm in VHE 611.
- 10/19/15 (M): Seminar on
Killing, germination and surprises with spores of bacteria of Bacillus species by
Prof. Peter Setlow from University of Connecticut at 4:15 pm in SLH 102.
- 10/20/15 (T):
Southern California Simulations in Science Conference (SCSSC 2015)
at UC Santa Barbara.
- 10/21/15 (W): Video conference with Dr. Ken-ichi Nomura about reactive molecular dynamics
on GPU, at 5:30 pm in VHE 610.
- 10/23/15 (F): Discussion on assignment 4 in the class.
- 10/26/15 (M): Special lecture on
GPU-based inverse rendering with multi-objective particle swarm optimization
by Koki Nagano, Thomas Collins, and Chi-An Chen (USC-ICT/ISI).
- 10/28/15 (W): Special office hour for assignment 4 at 5:00pm in VHE 610.
- 10/30/15 (F): Special lecture on "Intel Phi programming" by Patrick Small; see
Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor Developer's Quick Start Guide.
- 10/30/15 (F): Special office hour for assignment 4 at 5:30pm in VHE 610.
- 11/4/15 (W): You may respond to
planned USC software carpentry workshop; please also see information on
software carpentry workshops.
- 11/5/15 (Th): Please see data science
opportunities at ConversionLogic.
- 11/12/15 (F):
ACM News: In Memoriam: Gene Amdahl 1922-2015
- 11/13/15 (F): Special lecture by Dr. Akio Miyoshi (founder and CEO,
- 11/13/15 (F): Deadline to discuss and agree on your final project topic with me.
- 11/13/15 (F): Special office hour for the last assignment 6 at 5:30pm in VHE 610.
- 11/20/15 (F): Special lecture by Prof. Yukari Mitsuhashi (Kobe University, Japan).
- 11/30/15 (M), 12/2/15 (M), 12/4/15 (F): Final project presentations.
- 12/11/15 (F): Final project report due.